Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
  • Login:
PokerPills.net
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Eating an apple from inside.

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default Is translating your site into multiple languages a good strategy?

Hello everybody! So here's my first post (well, the second if we count the welcome post). I would like to know what you think about building a huge content site and then translating it into many languages, as opposed to creating hundreds of micro sites.

I've read that most poker affiliates launch hundreds of websites, but I've always privileged working on one site at a time, building the site and the brand to hopefully become a behemoth in a particular niche. It worked for the mainstream entertainment site I run, and I'm now looking for staffers that will translate the site in various languages.

I'm new when it comes to poker affiliate marketing, but I'd like to apply the same strategy: build a site with at least 200-300 pages of content, then translate it in various languages. What are your thoughts and experiences?

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Don't use Wordpress as your CMS if you intend to try this. It will block the translated pages from being indexed by search engines (apparently due to a problem that causes the search engines to hammer the site at too rapid a pace).
    Free advice and opinions are provided without any warranties or guarantees. I cannot do anything about the facts.

Not in MY HOUSE!!!!
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Martinez View Post
    Don't use Wordpress as your CMS if you intend to try this. It will block the translated pages from being indexed by search engines (apparently due to a problem that causes the search engines to hammer the site at too rapid a pace).
    Is there any way to fix this? This is the first I have heard of this. Is there any more detailed information anywhere?

Would this occur if you used a new WP installation for each separate language directory?

What about a plugin like "WP super cache" to serve static versions of the translated languages?

And why would having non-English pages cause search engines to "hammer the site at too rapid a pace"?
    Last edited by NickM; 02-02-2009 at 06:15 PM.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I'm currently doing this with my new poker site, but it's too early to tell what the results are/will be.

@Michael: I was actually going to use WP for this site, but finally opted for typo3. Do you have any experience with that CMS (typo3) or recommendations for other CMS for multi-languages sites?

Steady Hustlin' Since '83
    It's better to die on your
    feet than to live on your
    knees...

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Martinez View Post
    Actually you can do separate installs of Wordpress onto your site for EACH language and you have uploaded. Many people have Wordpress and put in new languages for their sites all the time. Cheryle, Josh, or Nicole could probably chime in with more info.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have not worked with separate installs of Wordpress for multilingual sites, but when you use a single install with the translation plug-in, the plug-in sends code 404 status codes for the translated pages.

I have not used Typo3.
    Free advice and opinions are provided without any warranties or guarantees. I cannot do anything about the facts.

CK
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

I havent done it with a single install because I didnt like how it set up the folders for me. Instead I use a new install on each language, set the wordpress url to the correct language code ie de, fr etc and work it from there. The only problem with this is you are setting up multiple themes over and over again as well as the updates between them. That being said I have had no problems with indexing or ranking with this method.

Another option as well if your only translating just your money pages, which most do I would set those pages up just using html or php. Strip out all the wp jumbo and just created the proper folders and upload. I do this when I am not doing a complete site. Its easier than having to go through updates
    ----------------------------------------
    Everyone says they are willing to do whatever it takes to get ahead - but yet there are so few people up at 5AM ? - Robert Herjavec
    ---------------------------------------

Eating an apple from inside.

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AceHigh Pino View Post
    Actually you can do separate installs of Wordpress onto your site for EACH language and you have uploaded. Many people have Wordpress and put in new languages for their sites all the time. Cheryle, Josh, or Nicole could probably chime in with more info.
    It would be interesting to get their input. I also think doing separate installs of Wordpress for each language on subdomains (like es.mypokersite.com, fr.mypokersite.com and so on) is the best option. Also, like NickM says, the php might eat up a lot of resources if you have good traffic so WP Super Cache is essential.

Thanks a lot for your replies!

Let's Eat A Goddamn Snack
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score

Are you the Michael Martinez from SEO Theory?

Let's Eat A Goddamn Snack
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Kaus View Post
    Instead I use a new install on each language, set the wordpress url to the correct language code ie de, fr etc and work it from there. The only problem with this is you are setting up multiple themes over and over again as well as the updates between them.
    That isn't totally true... If they're on the same server, you can call template files across vhosts.

Something like...

PHP Code:
    require('/var/www/html/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/wp-content/themes/themename/header.php'); 
    I know it's long, but it will work if your server is configured correctly.

If you have problems, look into whether you're running php in safe mode along with the current configuration of open_basedir.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information