Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
  • Login:
Chipsplit.com Affiliate Program
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Translations

PAL's Glenn Beck
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Default Translations

So I have some translation I want to put on some of my sites. Most of my sites run a custom CMS. The translations I have are for room reviews/bonus pages.

My question is what is the best way to put these on the sites. I've seen people do it like:

site.com/fr/bonuspage/ (french example)

Or

french.site.com/bonussite/ etc <--- this to be better if the whole site is translated

Also, do you usually link to each new language page from the homepage? Should I just link the new translated pages from the English bonus page?? So if I have a translated page foe Aced.com - Should I link the new page form my aced page or the homepage?

Thanks!

NBA Player

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Hey Randy,

I have done the following after asking for advice about 2 years ago.

My site has the folder solution, ie: pokerforfree.org/nl/etc/etc/

The reason I choose this method is that this way my domain is seen as one big site. If you go for sub domains, these are seen as different sites, although you could still inner link them.

According to many sources, it really doesn't matter which method you choose to implement regarding SEO advantage. It's more which you prefer.

Also, you can still set the geographical target in Google's Webmaster Tools. You just create a site including the domain folder, ie: pokerforfree.org/nl/ has the geographical target for the Netherlands.

When linking to the languages, make sure to use href lang attribute, ie:

HTML Code:
    <a href="pokerforfree.org/nl/" lang="nl">...</a>
    Also specify the languages in the html tag, ie:

HTML Code:
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="nl" lang="nl">
    Hope that explains a bit.

Best regards,

Giorgio

PS: If you do some research for foreign languages in Google.com you should be able to see which of the methods rank better, I guess.
    Pursuing Success

“Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Weak men wait for opportunities; strong men make them.”

Best accounting software: Freshbooks

In case you're one of those affiliates that don't make a dime, why not play some free poker on my website PokerForFree.org. I am always on the hunt for new members, and if you contact me and mention PAL, I'll be more than happy to increase your initial bankroll a bit

MmS
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

There is no algorithmic preference to subdomains vs. subdirectories, so they are treated equally. If you have a multilingual website I would recommend ccTLDS first and then subdomains or subdirectories.

When linking the new language page from the homepage they will receive more weight than only from the English page. How much weight you should give them is up to you. I would link to them from the English page only because that would look more natural to your visitors.

PAL's Glenn Beck
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Thanks guys, although i guess I'm more interested in how you interlink them within your sites. Do you link to these pages form the homepage? From the main language page? etc

Example: I'm having my aced poker pages translated only, not the whole site. so i link to them from the aced page in english? From the homepage?

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

You might want to try having a main page that is translated and then linking from there. This should help keep everything consistent.

You could also link to them from your English aced pages, but Google may look more kindly on your site/page if they see that more than one page is written in German or French, or whatever language.

PAL's Glenn Beck
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Great point Tonys, I actually plan on having several pages translated, I just used Aced as an example, but your advice makes perfect sense..'

Thanks!

Thread Information