Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
  • Login:
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By Laurence

Thread: Content copyright question

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Default Content copyright question

I'm wanting to finally get around to building a wedding speeches site that I've been wanting to do for a while on a great domain, and have a question on content.

Anyone who has written a wedding speech before will know that the majority of wedding speech lines can be found on multiple sites. So is it ok to use these on my site? It'll be a paid membership site to unlock all of the content.

I'm not confident of taking lots of content off other sites but are speeches/lines copyrighted? After all, people are free to use these lines in their speeches to the public and so are passed around pretty fast. And a lot of the lines have been used in thousands of speeches around the world for years.

Any views are appreciated.

Thanks.
    Boxing.org for sale. Premium Sports domain

PAL Affiliate Manager
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

There are some really good wedding speeches on YouTube,so I would recommend embedding some of them too
    Muchos Poker: your central cashier for 9 poker networks!

www.muchospoker.com
    www.muchospartners.com

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Flushdraw View Post
    Anyone who has written a wedding speech before will know that the majority of wedding speech lines can be found on multiple sites. So is it ok to use these on my site? It'll be a paid membership site to unlock all of the content.
    Using individual sentences is usually okay. You cannot copyright a sentence (although you can TRADEMARK a sentence).

I'm not confident of taking lots of content off other sites but are speeches/lines copyrighted? After all, people are free to use these lines in their speeches to the public and so are passed around pretty fast. And a lot of the lines have been used in thousands of speeches around the world for years.
    An entire speech belongs to the person who composed it, unless the copyright has expired. A speech is copyrighted regardless of whether you see a copyright notice attached.

Just because you find it on the Internet in 100 places does not mean something is in the public domain.

It would be better to rewrite any speeches you find. Copyright only protects the EXPRESSION OF AN IDEA, not the idea itself.

Besides which -- using duplicate content in search marketing is a brutal strategy. If you don't create sufficient value for it the search engines will bury it.
    Last edited by Michael Martinez; 12-03-2013 at 09:09 AM.
    Free advice and opinions are provided without any warranties or guarantees. I cannot do anything about the facts.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Thanks Michael, good stuff. It's mainly the individual lines I want to be using and not full speeches. As the majority of content will be in the paid members section I'm assuming duplicate content wouldn't be a problem as the pages won't be indexed in search engines?
    Boxing.org for sale. Premium Sports domain

[WTB] - Money Printer
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Whatever's behind the paywall is free game indeed afaik. I'll do the best man speech.

"John didn't have an easy decision in choosing his best man. First, he called his most charming friend, and he said no. Second, he called his most trusted and smartest friend, and he said no. Then, he asked his most good looking friend, and he also said no. Then he called me, and I said John, I can't say no to you four times."
    KevinMcC, kdollar, Prop and 5 others like this.
    [WTB] - Money printing machine

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score

Thanks for info.

Thread Information