Giving players too much credit

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    52 (100%)

Default Blogs in the top section should be scrapped imho

For a few valid reasons:

It's used for spam.

When not used for spam, the blog post could just as easily be posted in the forum/news section of the site.

There is very little discussion for the majority of blog posts.

If members want to post personal blog posts (which is few and far between as most would do this on their own sites) they'd still be linked in profiles so not completely out of sight.

It would also allow you to move the Latest Threads to the top where the Blog Pots are now currently. It makes more sense doing this then having the latest threads tucked away at the bottom of the forum.
    Matt Geer likes this.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My two cents -

I agree with you that most people use it for nothing more than a poor effort at a link drop.

I expected to see addz123 continue the trend but was surprised that there was not a link drop somewhere in his blog post. His "If I was starting from scratch" post was an appropriate use of the blog in my opinion. It just didn't trigger the sort of conversation that I thought it would have - but I don't think that was due to a lack of effort.

While Dan's blog post was short and sweet, I think his use of the blog post as opposed to starting a thread was appropriate. I'd probably not have clicked his link and visited his site if it was just in the general forum. I found myself spending a few solid hours reading the extremely useful, insightful, and "sense driven" (no such thing as common sense) information about the business. His entire site should have a discussion forum dedicated to it in my opinion.

Beyond those two blog posts, I agree that most people don't use the blog in a manner that (I think) they should. I don't think it should go away though. I just think that it should be better used.

Giving players too much credit

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    52 (100%)

why surprised? adam is one of the few real contributors on this forum. not like most others that seem to pitch their services but do very little else. and fwiw i was not saying to scrap blogs entirely. just saying perhaps the top section could be used in a better way. i'd put money on it reducing blog spam if it was given less exposure. you could say well then what's the point of having blogs? if you like reading someone's blogs you will periodically check if they have published anything new, so i fail to see how that is an issue.
    Last edited by pokeraussie; 08-10-2013 at 07:05 AM.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pokeraussie View Post
    why surprised? adam is one of the few real contributors on this forum. not like most others that seem to pitch their services but do very little else. and fwiw i was not saying to scrap blogs entirely. just saying perhaps the top section could be used in a better way. i'd put money on it reducing blog spam if it was given less exposure. you could say well then what's the point of having blogs? if you like reading someone's blogs you will periodically check if they have published anything new, so i fail to see how that is an issue.
    My commentary was not a knock on Adam. It was an in-general knock on the typical trends for blog posts here. When clicking on a post with a title like his, I typically expect to see some shameless self-glossing and self promotion with a link drop or two.

mazers innit!

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I agree with not having the news section and replacing that space with latest posts or something. It's a shame some of those topics have been posted in news when they would have generated some useful discussion if they were posted in a new thread.

I like the blogs, but there should be a like button there, or thumbs up like the news currently has, so good ones rise to the top and bad ones disappear.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I honestly don't see the problem with telling a story and sharing what you are currently working on with a link to your website.

However, I don't feel that a one sentence post with a link to your site should be in the blog section. If it is useful, then a forum post would be more appropriate imo.

Creating

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Are there guidelines to what goes in the blog compared to news?

ความลับไม่มีในโลก
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    48 (100%)

The news section is great imo - blog section I never look at
    leporello likes this.
    Betting Sports in the US? 5Dimes has Best Odds (US Players Accepted) - Live elsewhere? PinnacleSports Offers the Best Odds (No US Players)

PAL Red Pro
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thanks for the feedback. PAL is going to be seeing some big changes in the next few months.

Thread Information