Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
  • Login:
PokerRebel.com Affiliate Program
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Google Parsing Information for Cinema Times in SERPs

I know most people are aware that Google is beginning to parse information from websites so users don't have to leave the serps, but I just saw this and it surprised me quite a lot.

When I search for vue cinema fulham broadway it displays the cinema times in the SERPs. But if you then click the no.1 ranking to visit the website, it just takes you to a supplementary google index for cinema times.
    My affiliate blog: Affiliate FYI Twitter: @AffiliateFYI

Need an Infographic? Infographic Designs from $750.

Giving players too much credit

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    51 (100%)

Interesting SERP never seen anything like that.

Although I don't experience the same thing. The #1 organic result directs to the website as normal.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Another one is google what is my ip

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    51 (100%)

That and google calculator.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

They have been doing that in the US SERPs for at least a year.
    Free advice and opinions are provided without any warranties or guarantees. I cannot do anything about the facts.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score

I can see the value to the user, but clearly this is another step in weakening the effectiveness of organic marketing.

I think 2012 will be the year when people really begin to question Google's ethos.

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    51 (100%)

I'm not sure I would say that, for some SERPs you just want the information straight away, this provides a better user experience.

Another thing I noticed (not sure if it's new or not?) is when you search a surname of a popular sports player, like with the Aussie Open, it shows the final score in the SERP in a similar manner.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I don't understand to what extent Google can parse information without going over copy right law.

For example, regarldess of whether it's good for users, Google has essentially stolen content (film times etc) from MyVue.com cinemas. What happens if MyVue.com was selling advertising on its site and has now lost tons of traffic and revenue etc?

They probably gave google consent, but I can't imagine this happens all the time when Google parses information from sites?
    My affiliate blog: Affiliate FYI Twitter: @AffiliateFYI

Need an Infographic? Infographic Designs from $750.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by pokeraussie View Post
    I'm not sure I would say that, for some SERPs you just want the information straight away, this provides a better user experience.
    I think this is what I said?

As Adam mentioned, they're potentially wrecking the business of the websites that market through Google (biting the hand that feeds etc etc). But I would imagine that whatever they are doing it is all above board... anyway, even if it wasn't: Google Legal > Vue Legal

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by addz123 View Post
    I don't understand to what extent Google can parse information without going over copy right law.

For example, regarldess of whether it's good for users, Google has essentially stolen content (film times etc) from MyVue.com cinemas. What happens if MyVue.com was selling advertising on its site and has now lost tons of traffic and revenue etc?

They probably gave google consent, but I can't imagine this happens all the time when Google parses information from sites?
    I think it would be permitted based on the Fair Use policy, considering that only a tiny portion of the content is used. As a percentage I think you're allowed to use 10% of the content, but don't quote me on that.

Section 107 of the Copyright Act states that “the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies…, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching …, scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.”

Quote Originally Posted by OMGCAPSLOCK View Post
    I think this is what I said?

As Adam mentioned, they're potentially wrecking the business of the websites that market through Google (biting the hand that feeds etc etc). But I would imagine that whatever they are doing it is all above board... anyway, even if it wasn't: Google Legal > Vue Legal
    There is a ton I don't like about G atm, this is not one of the things I dislike. It's good G is providing a better user experience for searches that you likely wouldn't make a lot of money from anyway (previously searcher would have clicked a link to discover info and hit back button straight away).

Thread Information