Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
  • Login:
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: What to do when links cant be removed?

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

Default What to do when links cant be removed?

So with all the Panda/Penguin issues going on - I am curious about what one should do. Say you have several sources of questionable links and your trying to have them removed but for one reason or another the sites linking to you either refuse to remove or cannot do it in a timely fashion. How do you get google to stop counting those links?

Optimistic nihilist
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    30 (97%)

There's no real way. The only solution is to file a reinclusion request and include lists of all the links you've removed as well as the ones you've tried to remove.

Alternatively, you could contact the host of the site and explain that the site is spam linking to your site which is hurting you.
    GFPC likes this.
    Currently looking to buy income earning websites. I have a large budget for the right project. If you have any form of money earning site in gambling, finance or any other related niche, and want to sell, ship me a pm and let's work out a deal.

Also looking for premium domain.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

Yeah i see what you mean. What does Google do when you send them a list of sites that won't remove the links? Do they just discount them?

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

According to an article Danny Sullivan published on Search Engine Land this week, the semi-official word from Matt Cutts is: IF YOU CANNOT GET RID OF THE LINKS, start over with a new domain.

I know that sounds cold, but I'm just passing on what Danny wrote.
    Free advice and opinions are provided without any warranties or guarantees. I cannot do anything about the facts.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Martinez View Post
    According to an article Danny Sullivan published on Search Engine Land this week, the semi-official word from Matt Cutts is: IF YOU CANNOT GET RID OF THE LINKS, start over with a new domain.

Thus Neg SEO can flourish theoretically.

Would that mean a 301 redirect would be the way to go - just transfer all your site to a new domain?

If so, would it be possible to just transfer it to say a dot net version of the same domain?

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What about adding new links? After adding enough "good" links the weight of the "bad" links could become small enough so that they don't hurt you anymore? Just a theory...
    MJ and GFPC like this.
    "The harder I work, the luckier I get."

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Strider1973 View Post
    What about adding new links? After adding enough "good" links the weight of the "bad" links could become small enough so that they don't hurt you anymore? Just a theory...
    I also wondered about that - but I get the impression based on a few conversations its best to start over - I am just wondering if the 301 to a new domain actually works - I hear conflicting stories on this.

++ WhatCulture.com ++

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

301ing is pretty pointless if your goal is to escape the bad links, since they will follow you.

If you've been penalised, a 301 will bring you back for a short while to a similar position you were in previously, but the penalty will catch up on the new domain within a month or two from my experience.
    superiorword and silversurfer like this.
    You'll find me on LinkedIn, Twitter and Google+.

mazers innit!

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Martinez View Post

Wow, wtg google. If this is true it's monumentally short sighted.

So what they're saying is a decent business with natural linking can end up having their domain trashed and all their branding out the window 'cos some low life spammer decided they wanted their spots in the SERP's?

Should be saying if you cannot get rid of the links then we will penalise the sites with the outgoing bad links. Cut out all the abandoned crappy sites and make the true culprits, the sites creating this mess, disappear.

Google is just being lazy, maybe they aren't as capable of developing a good algo as they think. I've always seen the logic behind google's updates, even if it's hurt me, now I'm just annoyed.
    Last edited by Notspot; 05-13-2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: removed Maggie rant - what was I thinking??? Someone shoot me now.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Notspot View Post
    Should be saying if you cannot get rid of the links then we will penalise the sites with the outgoing bad links. Cut out all the abandoned crappy sites and make the true culprits, the sites creating this mess, disappear.
    Good point.. They do ask for you for info on your attempt to get them removed and i guess they can do something along these lines already - problem is these links are from a PAL member and i would rather not report these to Google. If you know what i mean. Trying to be nice and ask them to please remove now but its getting to the point if they do not remove them what else can you do?

Thread Information