Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Building own network vs link buying

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

A lot of people interlink their sites together with no problem.

A lot of aggressive marketers link their sites together and get penalized.

It comes down to INTENT and EXECUTION. Your greed and selfishness is usually why you screw up.

As for building your own sites versus buying links, it comes down mostly to INTENT and EXECUTION. Your greed and selfishness is usually why you screw up.

In other words, it doesn't take that much time or effort to build an acceptable small Website. If, however, you're just using it to link to your own sites you create a pretty easy-to-identify pattern when you create a lot of such small sites.

You don't have to link to competitor sites to link to other relevant, interesting, and useful sites in your niche (and you don't have to limit your outbound links to just your own niche -- that also creates an easily identified pattern).

As for whether an "SEO firm" could do it better or worse than their clients -- it comes down mostly to INTENT and EXECUTION.

Some people will be better at this sort of thing than others. Some people will be worse. It has nothing to do with whether you're an "SEO firm" or just an Internet marketer building your own network.
    Free advice and opinions are provided without any warranties or guarantees. I cannot do anything about the facts.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pokeraussie View Post
    Likely because he thinks it's a risky strategy but you see big sites doing this all the time so I disagree with his sentiments. I've done it numerous times even on the same IP (linking sites in the same niche) with no issues whatsoever. If you start doing this on a massive scale than perhaps you will start running into issues. Google just doesn't want you to do stuff that is clearly trying to manipulate the SERPs.
    Thanks for "trying" to explain in my absence. Prepenguin this type of thing worked great and any links was beneficial from your own network or anywhere else come to that matter. It was basically higher the PR and the more you had, the better. Dont get me wrong i used to do this with good effect for a long time.

Now post-penguin, i can not see any benefits or linking to my own sites. everyone who says they are differnt IP's, servers, templates, domain hosts or even owners and just trying to "game" google. The real need for great quantity of links are long gone even in a competitive niche. I just cant see the plus side of taking risks which are against google guide lines on money making websites.

Giving players too much credit

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    52 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by suffolkpoker View Post
    The real need for great quantity of links are long gone even in a competitive niche.
    Yes they are. But you always want relevant links even post-penguin (and this is what I am assuming we're talking about).

Quote Originally Posted by suffolkpoker View Post
    I just cant see the plus side of taking risks which are against google guide lines on money making websites.
    I don't build sites specifically for the purposes of building links to money sites. I would link to a site I own in addition to other sites when it makes sense to do so. This is not being manipulative it's simply leveraging your assets every legitimate business would do the same thing.

More to the point, doing this is not against google's guidelines as far as I understand it. In fact, I am pretty certain I've watched a Matt Cutts video where he said it was fine interlinking sites on the same IP. Like I said in a previous post, what they frown upon is doing stuff which is clearly only done for SEO, like having a "sites i own" section in the sidebar/footer where you link all your sites.
    Last edited by pokeraussie; 06-24-2013 at 12:59 PM.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pokeraussie View Post
    Yes they are. But you always want relevant links even post-penguin (and this is what I am assuming we're talking about).

I don't build sites specifically for the purposes of building links to money sites. I would link to a site I own in addition to other sites when it makes sense to do so. This is not being manipulate it's simply leveraging your assets every legitimate business would do the same thing.

More to the point, doing this is not against google's guidelines as far as I understand it. In fact, I am pretty certain I've watched a Matt Cutts video where he said it was fine interlinking sites on the same IP. Like I said in a previous post, what they frown upon is doing stuff which is clearly only done for SEO, like having a "sites i own" section in the sidebar/footer where you link all your sites.
    What your saying i would agree with in 1999 but postpenguin these tactics seem crazy to me. Stick to writing engaging content and link to sources of "real" quality.

Good luck

Giving players too much credit

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    52 (100%)

What's crazy about driving relevant traffic and link juice to your site? These tactics worked a couple of years ago and still work today imho when you do it properly. Writing engaging content is only one part of the equation.

Not Sure Who or Why...

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score

Tethering sites together that correlate, even on a mico-niche level is a good thing. As said before, diversifying and letting some gain come from a satellites sites marketing efforts is good. Basically, if it is a link that a lot of traffic comes from... it is worth a lot in the eyes of google! If done correctly, it would be no more than an off site blog, or perhaps a sister site. All acceptable if done with good "INTENT and EXECUTION".

money does not sleep
    alone

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    You have to make sure that you are following

Naturality
    Uniqueness
    Quality
    Authoritativeness
    When you say Naturality, do you mean in the sense of Jean Jacques Rousseau or in the sense of Charles Darwin or both?
    Halo keindahan malam ini bebas, saya ingin makan beberapa udang dengan rhum beberapa, asap Gudang Garam dan kemudian menonton Anda menari dan perlahan-lahan mendapatkan gaun Anda pergi.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score

Both of them don't work. I made the mistake of linking my sites together and Google figured it out. You would need to put each one on a different IP address and that may work, but it's much more expensive. Avoid the link network or "domain farm" at any expense, it's not worth it in the long-run.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by back in 52' View Post
    Both of them don't work. I made the mistake of linking my sites together and Google figured it out. You would need to put each one on a different IP address and that may work, but it's much more expensive. Avoid the link network or "domain farm" at any expense, it's not worth it in the long-run.
    Are these the domains you came here to sell?
    Strider1973, 3Bet and PROFRBcom like this.
    Free advice and opinions are provided without any warranties or guarantees. I cannot do anything about the facts.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Hopwood04 View Post
    building your own links will take a long time, perhaps you should go to fiverr.com and get some help?
    I'm hoping that this is a trolling comment rather than a serious consideration for anyone...

Thread Information