Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
  • Login:
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Giving players too much credit

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    52 (100%)

Default Playing medium PP's with 25-30bb stack in tournament

Let's dedicate this thread to how you should play medium pocket pairs in tourneys.

I feel like a donk spewing off my chip stack with 77 but I am unsure of how else I could have played the hand.

Raising small seems like a consideration but I really didn't know much or anything at all of the other players tendencies so getting a few callers makes it tough to play post flop. I also have no idea where I am at if a player 3-bet shoves.

PAL Red Pro
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

What position were you in?

I suck for the most part, but with 77 I would be trying to get in as cheap as I can looking for a set. If the set doesn't come I personally would probably fold to a raise. If the set does come, I'd probably be willing to get it in unless big cards are out there and I suspect a bigger set, I might fold there. If someone raises on a draw and catches, well that sucks and why I will never play professionally. I hate those hands when there's action.

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    52 (100%)

I was first to open and I likely would have been OOP in the hand post flop.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Set mining with 25bb is never going to show a profit. If you're in the mid to late stages just min-raise or 2.2x if you're first in and play the hand from there. If there's a raise in front of me I'd mostly be folding but if there's an opportunity to squeeze 2 or 3 players and the opener is loose and antes are in play then shipping it in is normally fine.

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    52 (100%)

What I don't like about the min-raise is that with 2 or more callers the majority of flop board textures I am not going to like unless I have a set compounded by the fact that I will be OOP in the hand.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

How late in the tournament was it? How big are the other players stacks? How many players are on the table? How tight/loose is the table?

TBH, without taking into account any of that extra info I'd probably just fold in that position.

We talking live or online, btw?

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    52 (100%)

It was a $35 buy-in live tourney and I think there were 7 players on the table.

One player folded then the action was on me.

I can't really answer your other questions because I was quickly moved to this new table.

I'd assume I was one of the short stacked players because I registered a bit late to play.

Yeah I am starting to think folding here was the correct play. I spew shoved as my confidence was sky high after taking down another tournament the same night

Formerly PartTimePoker

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    26 (96%)

Quote Originally Posted by zuutroy View Post
    Set mining with 25bb is never going to show a profit. If you're in the mid to late stages just min-raise or 2.2x if you're first in and play the hand from there. If there's a raise in front of me I'd mostly be folding but if there's an opportunity to squeeze 2 or 3 players and the opener is loose and antes are in play then shipping it in is normally fine.
    Pretty much this. It's tough to play mid pairs with a 25BB stack unless you're restealing with them under good conditions.

It's ok to fold pairs.
    I'm on Google Plus, Twitter and Facebook. PM me and I'll add you back.

Need content? Send me a PM

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by zuutroy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by parttimepoker View Post
    Pretty much this. It's tough to play mid pairs with a 25BB stack unless you're restealing with them under good conditions.

It's ok to fold pairs.

This.

The only thing I disagree with is shipping with 25bbs, even with antes. That's a little loose -- you can still open/raise, c-bet/fold flop and still have fold equity.

I start shipping with 15bbs (and that's still loose for me personally, as it was/is <10bbs in SNGs).

Keep in mind that's online too, and I have virtually no experience playing live.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

If you open shove 77 with 25/30 bbs in a tournament you should really should consider finding another hobby.
    Get a good Backlink from Best Of The Web for $399.95 lifetime Submit Now

Thread Information