Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
  • Login:
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: World Cup Betting

Giving players too much credit

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    52 (100%)

@TheGooner Just because the keeper gets the ball doesn't in and of itself not put him at fault. Using that logic, as long as you get the ball as a player you can't be carded, which is obviously not true. That said, I think most refs probably would have made the same call.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pokeraussie View Post
    @TheGooner Just because the keeper gets the ball doesn't in and of itself not put him at fault. Using that logic, as long as you get the ball as a player you can't be carded, which is obviously not true. That said, I think most refs probably would have made the same call.
    Wrong. You need to read up the rules and the referee guidelines.

The problem in this situation is that when a high balls comes at you and you do not jump to get it, it is YOUR fault when you get hit in the back/shoulder/head by the other player who does jump to get it. Actually you can be penalized for staying below because you are putting the player who jumps at risk (of being thrown out of balance and falling over you). And this applies for a situation where one player goes for a header and the other doesn't, but also for the goal keeper going for the ball with a hand or fist.

Higuain was just trying to create an obstacle for the goalkeeper (which in this situation can be a foul), and the only reason why the situation looked as bad as it did was the fact that Neuer moved towards the ball, while the Argentinian player did not really jump to get it. How is that the goalies fault?

The difference between the Schumacher situation was that back then, the goalie did not get the ball and actively rotated into the player to bring him down. Huge difference!

Battiston 1982 - YouTube
    vs
    Higuaín Leva Joelhada na Cara de Neuer, ALE 1 x 0 ARG - Copa 2014 (13/07/2014) - YouTube

Asides from that:

If Argentina, having Messi who is undoubtedly one of the best players in the World, scored a total of 7 goals only in regular time during the whole tournament (in 7 games), how can anyone in his right mind say that they would have deserved to be World Champion???

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    52 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post

The problem in this situation is that when a high balls comes at you and you do not jump to get it, it is YOUR fault when you get hit in the back/shoulder/head by the other player who does jump to get it. Actually you can be penalized for staying below because you are putting the player who jumps at risk (of being thrown out of balance and falling over you).
    This is true. It puts the player who is off the ground at risk of getting injured. But plenty of freekicks are given to players who are too aggressive in going for the ball. It's not just a black/white situation. Anyway, I am not going to say Germany were undeserving winners. Although I don't feel they were the better team on the day they were rewarded for being the best overall team throughout the tournament. The longer the final was goalless the more it was going to favor Germany.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pokeraussie View Post
    The longer the final was goalless the more it was going to favor Germany.
    Agree. As I said before, the bench is important. No coincidence that the goal was a cooperation of the two substitutes Schürrle and Götze. And with Neuer, we had reason to be confident even in a penalty shootout. Although I would have hated for a final to be decided in that manner, because after all, penalties always are a bit of a lottery game.
    pokeraussie and Shay like this.

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    52 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Agree. As I said before, the bench is important. No coincidence that the goal was a cooperation of the two substitutes Schürrle and Götze. And with Neuer, we had reason to be confident even in a penalty shootout. Although I would have hated for a final to be decided in that manner, because after all, penalties always are a bit of a lottery game.
    Were you surprised Klose stayed on for as long as he did? Yeah, it feels wrong deciding a World Cup final through a penalty shootout. But what else can be done they were already on their last legs.

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    52 (100%)

Mate fuckoff with your useless posts. If you had any interest in the World Cup, you'd know how often it was held.
    Catfish and Shay like this.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score

I bet France will be a winner this year

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread Information