• Login:
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Michael Martinez

Thread: Go for reliable hosting solution or use another option?

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score

Default Go for reliable hosting solution or use another option?

I'd really appreciate some advice on this, long story short, my old man bought a build your own site package, biggest farce I've ever seen and I won't dare utter its name. (the premise was spam wiki pages...)

Once I found out about it I quickly told him to get his money back, they obliged but he decided to keep the hosting. I think the whole operation was just set up to shill the hosting services and collect a commission, anyway...

With it came an unlimited lifetime hosting (shared) with Brainhost (dotcom). O

I'm just about to set up a new project, and the temptation is always there to save a few buck and just use the hosting option I have, but in terms of SEO I do have concerns it may be better to go with a reputable hosting service.

I set up a mini site on it before and it did ok, no major content or backlinks so was kinda hard to gauge, I can't say I've anything bad to say about them, there were a few hiccups, all of which were quickly resolved and no issues with support.

My main concern is spam sites possibly hosted on the same server my site would be sitting on, is it even worth considering or should I just forget it and go with a recommended option here?

Cheers,

Samba

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It's a rare occurrence but the major search engines (Bing and Google) WILL delist an entire hosting company's inventory if they detect massive misbehavior among the hosting clients. They interpret that to mean the hosting company doesn't care about Web spam.

In my experience, some hosting companies also offer such poor performance that the search engines struggle to crawl and index pages on their servers; hence, if your indexing fails you might as well be delisted.

So you want to work with a reliable hosting service that supports regular crawl and which is not likely to be penalized for being a spam haven.

You should only go with your gut instinct. Use a service (or recommend one to your father) that you feel good about. Don't worry about where the search engines' threshold is. The threshold that matters most is the one that tells you how confident you are that you made the right choice for a hosting provider.
    borSamba likes this.
    Free advice and opinions are provided without any warranties or guarantees. I cannot do anything about the facts.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score

Thanks Michael, was not aware of that, I'll use them for small mini projects i don't care too much for, this being my main baby, I'll choose wisely.
    Last edited by borSamba; 06-25-2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: sorted

Thread Information