Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
  • Login:
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dumb WP question

CK
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Default Dumb WP question

So when you backup wordpress it automatically creates a copy the mysql for you.

Can I manually edit the text in this file and upload, thus updating those posts?

I'm just thinking for a large update of interlinking this would be a lot faster than say searching and updating individual posts/pages.
    ----------------------------------------
    Everyone says they are willing to do whatever it takes to get ahead - but yet there are so few people up at 5AM ? - Robert Herjavec
    ---------------------------------------

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I'm unsure what exactly you're asking, but I do know that you can edit the database via phpmyadmin to add or remove a variety of things.

#!/usr/bin/mikebrad
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

It just depends on what the backup file says. You may have to delete the old tables first, then re-upload the new file. A quick way to test would be to change the names of the tables in the file, as well. Change wp_posts to test_posts, for example.

This is definitely possible and would be a big time saver on a large site.

CK
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Yeah basically the same thing but through Dreamweaver. Let's say I have a new page that I want to link to internally, I do a find and replace with dreamweaver for a specific word, it brings up all the pages including phrases in the mysql file. Basically I want to edit that file wherever I find a similar word to include a link to the new page.

I find wordpress to be incredibly slow in this respect. No matter what plugin you use, having to search posts is just a complete pain in the ass when you want to add or remove something. It takes up way to much time.
    Everyone says they are willing to do whatever it takes to get ahead - but yet there are so few people up at 5AM ? - Robert Herjavec

Formerly PartTimePoker

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    26 (96%)

Yes, you can do that. Probably better to have a custom plugin that controls what text links, what it links to, and what not.

We developed one for our sites that controls the aff links, linked text, bonus amount, percentage - just about every criteria that exists for a room / bonus - all in one place, so we never have to worry about doing a find and replace. Saves a lot of time.
    I'm on Google Plus, Twitter and Facebook. PM me and I'll add you back.

Not a man/mate/guy. Girl
    power!

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Of course you can do that.

One thing to keep in mind is changing links in mysql file of a WP site that runs on some kind of framework - they usually use what is called serialized data - and for that you have to deserialize it before changes and again serialize after.
    Are your websites responsive yet? No worries - help is here: Turn your website into responsive!

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I once used the wp plugin "search and replace" by Frank Bültge, and it worked well.
    "The harder I work, the luckier I get."

CK
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Strider1973 View Post
    I once used the wp plugin "search and replace" by Frank Bültge, and it worked well.
    I did that to once, and fcked up an entire site in the process. lol One mistake and your SOL. But search and replace isn't relevant for what I want to do.

Thanks for the reply guys, I will check into this more and maybe create a dummy site to test it out until I'm 100% sure I won't blow it up

This is definitely possible and would be a big time saver on a large site.
    Agree. My biggest gripe with wordpress is how much time I waste trying to edit.

vB Guru
    Test

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

You do not want to edit a SQL file unless you are sure you know what you are doing. You could completely screw yourself if you do it wrong.
    ak likes this.

d[-_-]b
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I think you should hit up Dealer Dans Frank for messing with them things, hes good with all that stuff. 'Frost' I think.
    UK based company to promote check out SKY - they offer everything, pay in £. Check out there information pack and if you sign up through my link hit me up and ill throw you a link or two.

Surviving the Affiliate Industry since 2009... UIGEA, Superusers, Global Economic Crisis, Black Friday ... whats next? Bring it on... I still work a day job too - haven't quit!

Thread Information