New Posts
  • Login:
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    My Status
     
    ----
     

    Add as a friend
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    114
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haynesey View Post
    Just to let you know you can do all of them in wordpress (not sure about the tracking system). And if you can think of something that isn't available you will definitely be able to find someone who can make a plugin for it.
    About 2 months ago I tried to find these plugins but I had no results. Can you link it? But only the serious ones.

    (Of course you can hire someone to make a brand new cms for you...)
    Don't blame my English, I am working on it!

    Online Poker

  2. #12
    Bingolady
    My Status
     
    ----
     

    Add as a friend
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    87
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    I was playing around with Joomla some time ago, and I stopped using it as a possible cms when I found out that you can assign only one category to an article. I am not sure it has changed or not since then.
    If Joomla could use more than one categories then I would seriously consider using it.
    USA bingo
    UK bingo sites
    "Its great to see that Hugh Heffner isn't the only one building and running his empire in his PJ's!" -SeoPants@AGD

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    My Status
     
    ----
     

    Add as a friend
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    114
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sipka View Post
    I was playing around with Joomla some time ago, and I stopped using it as a possible cms when I found out that you can assign only one category to an article. I am not sure it has changed or not since then.
    If Joomla could use more than one categories then I would seriously consider using it.
    EDIT: Missread it
    Last edited by Gaben86; 06-25-2009 at 06:47 AM.
    Don't blame my English, I am working on it!

    Online Poker

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    www.theaffiliatelife.com
     
    ----
     

    Add as a friend
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,604
    Blog Entries
    6
    Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

    Default

    Thanks for the intro - great post, and really useful!

    I was another one who started learning Joomla a couple of years ago and ended up switching to WP. One of the reasons for it was because I wasn't totally convinced about the SEO.

    I love the way that WP automatically re-writes your .htaccess so that you can get search friendly URL's like:

    yourdomain.com/pokerstars-bonus

    I could never achieve that in Joomla. I always ended up having to have something like:

    yourdomain.com/index.php/pokerstars-bonus

    Was I just being a muppet??

    Suddenly having had a look through the RocketThemes available, I'm tempted to give it another shot.
    If you liked my post, you might also like:

    Affiliate Blog: The Affiliate Life
    Twitter Feed: twitter.com/shortstackgames
    Facebook: facebook.com/shortstacksimon
    Pinterest: pinterest.com/slotgames

    Latest blog post: Actioning those ideas which will take your business to the next level

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    My Status
     
    ----
     

    Add as a friend
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    114
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheShortStack View Post

    I could never achieve that in Joomla. I always ended up having to have something like:

    yourdomain.com/index.php/pokerstars-bonus
    An example whit a site what I started to make recently: Freeroll Tournaments

    With Joomla 1.5 you can do almost everything. Unfortunately my biggest site in Joomla 1.0 and I have the same problem like you had - I cannot fix the url...
    Don't blame my English, I am working on it!

    Online Poker

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    content is boring
     
    ----
     

    Add as a friend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    146
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheShortStack View Post
    I could never achieve that in Joomla. I always ended up having to have something like:

    yourdomain.com/index.php/pokerstars-bonus

    Was I just being a muppet??
    Yes you were just being a muppet .
    Far as wp goes its a limited ONE PoINT site and this is the issue i see here people using WP dont understand the concept of joomla, it is not a one point site its a CMS allowing you to master and link your navigation in a total different form. Plus the community makes some scripts functions that really worth your time in mastering it.

    Fixing the URL, well that is a pain because you would have to work on your ht file and use the component to write new meta and URL leaving the index thing behind.... i made it once and its boring but once done i have to say my serps got much better...

    Regarding the categories yes its true, one article inside one categorie and section, this was the reason i insisted in the site structure, section /categories to be important because they cant later on define how you display certain articles\categories on some menu or module position.

    Some more reasons i think joomla is better than WP?

    Well wordpress is a blog and thats about it.
    If you want to put a forum in your wordpress i dont think you can or have, although i use forum in my sites with joomla but not the community builder i use SMF in a subdomain, joomla can do this for you.
    If you want to change your joomla site to a blog layout its easy, turning you WP site to a content management system is impossible.
    Joomla looks and feels more professional, and motivates you to make better sites i think.

  7. #17
    Bingolady
    My Status
     
    ----
     

    Add as a friend
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    87
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viriatu View Post
    Regarding the categories yes its true, one article inside one categorie and section, this was the reason i insisted in the site structure, section /categories to be important because they cant later on define how you display certain articles\categories on some menu or module position.
    Yes, I remember the same, I tried to achieve some grouping for one casino like it is a US casino, RTG casino, Credit Card accepting casino, but I couldn't figure out how to make these kind of groupings, so I can list my articles using these "filters". I am not a php guru, so I guess someone with a better programming knowledge can find out the way to overcome this, so I left Joomla hanging though I really liked the admin interface.

    I use Textpattern and for some newest sites WP, that don't require a lot of fancy unique things just displaying simple articles and pages.
    USA bingo
    UK bingo sites
    "Its great to see that Hugh Heffner isn't the only one building and running his empire in his PJ's!" -SeoPants@AGD

  8. #18
    Member
    My Status
     
    ----
     

    Add as a friend
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    30
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    My current site uses joomla 1.5. I did find it really easy to learn and pickup and got the whole extension module thing down pretty fast. My only problem was SEO which has caused my site to go to shits lol. Now im debating wither or not if its worth a fix (paying a professional for help) or starting over.

    My reccomendation, if you know how to get the seo part done joomla is well worth it.

  9. #19
    Optimistic nihilist
    My Status
     
    ----
     

    Add as a friend
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Greenland
    Posts
    2,802
    Blog Entries
    1
    Feedback Score
    30 (97%)

    Default

    Joomla is a far superior tool to Wordpress. It's not even close. It's problems with SEO have been well documented in the past. Now there are 0 issues. Use sef friendly urls and mod_access rewrite in global configuration.

    Use simple meta management suite for controlling title tags and other meta if you need to (this also allows for simple insertion of GA and Webmaster Tools codes). Xmap can be used for sitemap generation.

    Really wordpress is like an old dinosaur compared to joomla.

    So is there any negatives? Of course. Joomlas major downfall is in its reliance on templates. Editing the css or modules is a difficult task and it is a steep learning curve. If you find a good template then great, but for me every Joomla site I've built Ive had to have a custom template built (this is fine because i have a fantastic coder).
    Currently looking to buy income earning websites. I have a large budget for the right project. If you have any form of money earning site in gambling, finance or any other related niche, and want to sell, ship me a pm and let's work out a deal.

    Also looking for premium domain.

  10. #20
    Member
    My Status
     
    ----
     

    Add as a friend
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    30
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leporello View Post
    Joomla is a far superior tool to Wordpress. It's not even close. It's problems with SEO have been well documented in the past. Now there are 0 issues. Use sef friendly urls and mod_access rewrite in global configuration.

    Use simple meta management suite for controlling title tags and other meta if you need to (this also allows for simple insertion of GA and Webmaster Tools codes). Xmap can be used for sitemap generation.

    Really wordpress is like an old dinosaur compared to joomla.

    So is there any negatives? Of course. Joomlas major downfall is in its reliance on templates. Editing the css or modules is a difficult task and it is a steep learning curve. If you find a good template then great, but for me every Joomla site I've built Ive had to have a custom template built (this is fine because i have a fantastic coder).
    I wouldn't say the SEO is 100% fixed. There are many probelems with SEO rewriters and modules. Some modules aren't compatible with certain SEO rewriters. However if you do know a coder or can hire one, it is possible to get around the problem but with hours of work.


 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Back to basics, best sites for rev. share
    By nojunkfood in forum General Poker Affiliate Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 04:31 AM
  2. Back to Basics: Offline Marketing
    By Greg in forum General Poker Affiliate Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 04:29 PM
  3. Joomla help
    By alexpratt in forum Wordpress - Web Design - Coding - Technical
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2009, 03:20 AM
  4. Promoting Bingo Basics (Blog)
    By Greg in forum General Poker Affiliate Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2009, 04:08 PM
  5. Back to Basics and respecting one another.
    By GFPC in forum General Poker Affiliate Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-24-2009, 01:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.5
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0