Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
  • Login:
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    content is boring

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 3jokers View Post
    Why just not use a redirect in the httaccess file?

Like:

HTML Code:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^domain.com
    RewriteRule (.*) http://www.domain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

redirect 301 /go/fulltiltpoker http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/?key=MDAwMDM5QjYwMDAxN0I5RTAwMDAwMDAwMDAwMDAwMDA-
    redirect 301 /go/betssonpoker http://record.affiliatelounge.com/_tkCcQJqyE1rYGgllr3Vm5GNd7ZgqdRLk/1
    redirect 301 /go/expektpoker http://media.expekt.com/affiliates/redirect.aspx?pid=43149&bid=3895
    redirect 301 /go/pokerstars http://www.pokerstars.com/sv/?source=10223824
    etc......

Isn't this the easiest way?
    i did not think about this, but since i use other stuff in my htacess and im no pro, never really implemented nothing like this. I will try this and see if it works and will post feedback.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for providing such a great information about Joomla basic because i m newbie here.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score

As someone who has not used Joomla! before, you need to know how to get started. Maybe you have a friend or a neighbour who uses Joomla! and you want a Joomla! web site of your very own. Maybe you have a small business or a club or a community that needs a web presence, and you want to use Joomla! for that purpose. Maybe you are a seasoned Information Technology professional, but you have never Joomla! before

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Andy's Joomla recommendations - free and otherwise

Hi guys

Well I've been using J! since around June last year. I don't hate WP but much prefer Joomla overall. Anyway I've used various plugins, modules, components and templates over the last few months so thought I'd share a few things with you that I've found helpful (fear not, there's no affiliate links here lol). Certainly now whenever I start a new site there's certain things I install immediately before even starting on content etc. So without further ado, let's look at

Free stuff

First of all you'll need a nice editor, frankly the default J! one sucks balls. I use JCE editor which you can get from

JCE - A Content Editor for Joomla!®

Once you've installed this badboy, just go to Global Configuration > Site > Default WYSIWIG editor and change to JCE. Job done.

Next up - for better managing of modules, I use Advanced Module Manager - this is a sweet, simple little addon which makes it a ton easier to assign/exclude modules from certain pages etc. Also fixes the occasional J! bug I've found where some modules won't appear on the right pages.

Advanced Module Manager - Joomla! Extensions Directory

In terms of security, there's a nice little plugin you can get called Marco's SQL injection interceptor. Whilst this doesn't cover all types of security intrusions it does a nice line in offering some free protection from certain SQL injection attacks.

Marco's SQL Injection - Joomla! Extensions Directory

(if you want to scare yourself you can get it to email you whenever it blocks stuff!)

Quick tip on how to 'mask' affiliate URLS

There are various plugins you can get to achieve this but the simplest and least messy way is via Joomla weblinks, which comes bundled with the CMS. Go to Components>Weblinks. You'll need to first set up a category (I just make one called 'Go'),. Then go to the links bit, click new and fill in the details (the 'alias' is what the visitor sees in the status bar). You can then use weblinks rather than inserting a normal link in a page. This is handy as well as say your affiliate link changes, you only need to change it the once in weblinks rather than in all your docs.

but I digress. Let's move on to some paid for stuff

More security stuff - J Secure

One of the problems with J! is that it takes some configuring to tighten up the security. Its default is to have your admin back end log in page at

yourpage.com: The Leading Your Page Site on the Net which gives anyone looking for a way in the first bit of the puzzle. Jsecure stops this by adding a 'key' to that URL which unless you know it, prevents you from being able to get to that log in screen.
    So for example you could now have

yourpage.com: The Leading Your Page Site on the Net or whatever. Really simple to set up and use. And at $10 you can hardly argue with it.

Blogging software

I spent days trying to find something decent. Frankly there's some really shitty J! blogging products out there. MyBlog is different though - why? It rocks, and it's SO simple to use and configure. I mean I've installed it again on a new site and it's taken a few minutes, if that. Very simple to use whether you want to use front or back end editor. Supports multiple users, tags etc. Also the templates it comes with are customisable. Again here the price is awesome at $45 with support for one installation, or $135 with support for five. It's a superb product

MyBlog - Joomla! Blog Component. Blogging Made Easy!

Events calendar

For my main poker site I wanted a calendar widget where I could have online tourneys listed for the different days. Again I had a bit of a crappy time searching for a decent product but JEvents is the real deal. It's either free or you can pay up to 70 euros for 12 month 'gold' membership depending on what you want. So far my needs are pretty simple so have just stuck with the free one. Pretty simple to use and config.

JEvents

More security

Andy stop going on about security, you're making me paraniod? Yeah well if you've been hacked you get that way lol. Since some dumbass hacked me I've been using various plugins etc but the main one is OSE Anti Hacker

OSE Anti-Hacker

Dammit just seen their site is down for maintenance so can't quote the price but I think it's around $100 or so. This has blocked a whole ton of intrusion attempts (again you can choose to have email alerts) and their customer service is awesome. It's a bit fiddly to config but they were there on hand to help out and pretty much did it all for me in the end at no extra cost! Very helpful team. Once it's up and running it just sits there basically, keeping an eye on things.

SEO and URL structures

Right if I could recommend one paid for product for Joomla it's got to be SH404 SEF. You'll probably notice with Joomla that it's default URLs are ugly and non-SEO friendly. Well SH404 deals with it very quickly, but also allows you quick editing of a given title/meta/URL. So you go from some stupid looking URL like

www.yoursite.com/index?articleid=3453424234523? blah blah to

www.yoursite.com/whatever/yourpage.html

You also have the ability to link to your GA account although I haven't used this as of yet. Really easy to use, quick results and vital if you want to have a good URL structure and SEO from that point of view. Cost? 1 year at $39 - absolute bargain

sh404SEF - Joomla! Extensions Directory

Templates and modules

Right we're all on the lookout for good templates right? I spent AGES when I first started looking for good quality templates. I can tell you that by far THE best J! templates (and plenty of kickass WP ones too) are at RocketTheme

http://www.rocketheme.com

There's several things I love about their products - firstly they're great value (club prices from $50), secondly their templates rock - really modern, slick and they churn out regular new stuff that's of great quality. Also it's not just templates - check out stuff like RokTabs and RokFeature Tables, great modules. On top of that their customer service rocks, for example today I posted three queries on their forum and in minutes was all sorted. They're happy to help you out even with 'noob' CSS queries

Mostly free cloning and backup

Finally one product I'm really pleased with is XCloner. This is actuallly free but you can pay for premium support and also they offer a paid cloning/restore service.
    Basically Xcloner allows you to back up your site from within the admin backend and then you can restore it or clone it (e.g to another URL). It's fairly simple and very effective. The guy who runs it gives superb service - I'm a total cluts with stuff like this so paid the 10euros or whatever per month and it's well worth it - I mean his responses have always been pretty much instant. I really cocked up a site the other day and wanted to pay him to restore it and he charged 40 euros which was cool ( I could've done it myself free I know but I tend to mess up stuff like that lol)

XCloner - Website Backup and Restore | Professional Backup application, Joomla backup extension, Wordpress backup plugin

I think that's pretty much it. Waffled on a bit but hopefully has been of some help to someone

content is boring

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

nice added to the first page!
    i must say i used to go for SH404 SEF when it was free and i kept it in the old sites but now its paid solution but still the best i guess...

JCE is awesome i use it also.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTattooedGuy View Post
    Andy's Joomla recommendations - free and otherwise

Hi guys

Well I've been using J! since around June last year. I don't hate WP but much prefer Joomla overall. Anyway I've used various plugins, modules, components and templates over the last few months so thought I'd share a few things with you that I've found helpful (fear not, there's no affiliate links here lol). Certainly now whenever I start a new site there's certain things I install immediately before even starting on content etc. So without further ado, let's look at

Free stuff

First of all you'll need a nice editor, frankly the default J! one sucks balls. I use JCE editor which you can get from

JCE - A Content Editor for Joomla!®

Once you've installed this badboy, just go to Global Configuration > Site > Default WYSIWIG editor and change to JCE. Job done.

Next up - for better managing of modules, I use Advanced Module Manager - this is a sweet, simple little addon which makes it a ton easier to assign/exclude modules from certain pages etc. Also fixes the occasional J! bug I've found where some modules won't appear on the right pages.

Advanced Module Manager - Joomla! Extensions Directory

In terms of security, there's a nice little plugin you can get called Marco's SQL injection interceptor. Whilst this doesn't cover all types of security intrusions it does a nice line in offering some free protection from certain SQL injection attacks.

Marco's SQL Injection - Joomla! Extensions Directory

(if you want to scare yourself you can get it to email you whenever it blocks stuff!)

Quick tip on how to 'mask' affiliate URLS

There are various plugins you can get to achieve this but the simplest and least messy way is via Joomla weblinks, which comes bundled with the CMS. Go to Components>Weblinks. You'll need to first set up a category (I just make one called 'Go'),. Then go to the links bit, click new and fill in the details (the 'alias' is what the visitor sees in the status bar). You can then use weblinks rather than inserting a normal link in a page. This is handy as well as say your affiliate link changes, you only need to change it the once in weblinks rather than in all your docs.

but I digress. Let's move on to some paid for stuff

More security stuff - J Secure

One of the problems with J! is that it takes some configuring to tighten up the security. Its default is to have your admin back end log in page at

yourpage.com: The Leading Your Page Site on the Net which gives anyone looking for a way in the first bit of the puzzle. Jsecure stops this by adding a 'key' to that URL which unless you know it, prevents you from being able to get to that log in screen.
    So for example you could now have

yourpage.com: The Leading Your Page Site on the Net or whatever. Really simple to set up and use. And at $10 you can hardly argue with it.

Blogging software

I spent days trying to find something decent. Frankly there's some really shitty J! blogging products out there. MyBlog is different though - why? It rocks, and it's SO simple to use and configure. I mean I've installed it again on a new site and it's taken a few minutes, if that. Very simple to use whether you want to use front or back end editor. Supports multiple users, tags etc. Also the templates it comes with are customisable. Again here the price is awesome at $45 with support for one installation, or $135 with support for five. It's a superb product

MyBlog - Joomla! Blog Component. Blogging Made Easy!

Events calendar

For my main poker site I wanted a calendar widget where I could have online tourneys listed for the different days. Again I had a bit of a crappy time searching for a decent product but JEvents is the real deal. It's either free or you can pay up to 70 euros for 12 month 'gold' membership depending on what you want. So far my needs are pretty simple so have just stuck with the free one. Pretty simple to use and config.

JEvents

More security

Andy stop going on about security, you're making me paraniod? Yeah well if you've been hacked you get that way lol. Since some dumbass hacked me I've been using various plugins etc but the main one is OSE Anti Hacker

OSE Anti-Hacker

Dammit just seen their site is down for maintenance so can't quote the price but I think it's around $100 or so. This has blocked a whole ton of intrusion attempts (again you can choose to have email alerts) and their customer service is awesome. It's a bit fiddly to config but they were there on hand to help out and pretty much did it all for me in the end at no extra cost! Very helpful team. Once it's up and running it just sits there basically, keeping an eye on things.

SEO and URL structures

Right if I could recommend one paid for product for Joomla it's got to be SH404 SEF. You'll probably notice with Joomla that it's default URLs are ugly and non-SEO friendly. Well SH404 deals with it very quickly, but also allows you quick editing of a given title/meta/URL. So you go from some stupid looking URL like

www.yoursite.com/index?articleid=3453424234523? blah blah to

www.yoursite.com/whatever/yourpage.html

You also have the ability to link to your GA account although I haven't used this as of yet. Really easy to use, quick results and vital if you want to have a good URL structure and SEO from that point of view. Cost? 1 year at $39 - absolute bargain

sh404SEF - Joomla! Extensions Directory

Templates and modules

Right we're all on the lookout for good templates right? I spent AGES when I first started looking for good quality templates. I can tell you that by far THE best J! templates (and plenty of kickass WP ones too) are at RocketTheme

http://www.rocketheme.com

There's several things I love about their products - firstly they're great value (club prices from $50), secondly their templates rock - really modern, slick and they churn out regular new stuff that's of great quality. Also it's not just templates - check out stuff like RokTabs and RokFeature Tables, great modules. On top of that their customer service rocks, for example today I posted three queries on their forum and in minutes was all sorted. They're happy to help you out even with 'noob' CSS queries

Mostly free cloning and backup

Finally one product I'm really pleased with is XCloner. This is actuallly free but you can pay for premium support and also they offer a paid cloning/restore service.
    Basically Xcloner allows you to back up your site from within the admin backend and then you can restore it or clone it (e.g to another URL). It's fairly simple and very effective. The guy who runs it gives superb service - I'm a total cluts with stuff like this so paid the 10euros or whatever per month and it's well worth it - I mean his responses have always been pretty much instant. I really cocked up a site the other day and wanted to pay him to restore it and he charged 40 euros which was cool ( I could've done it myself free I know but I tend to mess up stuff like that lol)

XCloner - Website Backup and Restore | Professional Backup application, Joomla backup extension, Wordpress backup plugin

I think that's pretty much it. Waffled on a bit but hopefully has been of some help to someone

content is boring

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

so you dont want to give your info to google and still see your joomla site stats? good for you so do i your search is over.

j4age - Joomla! Extensions Directory

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score

Sweet guide. Will definitely help me get started. Thanks.

content is boring

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by t_roy View Post
    Sweet guide. Will definitely help me get started. Thanks.
    That was the all point! im glad i could help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information