+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    content is boring

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Post Joomla Basics for newbie poker affiliates

Im openning this thread in hopes some of you can find some value in it. This is designed mostly for thoose like me having litle to no skills in coding and designing and so in need of a fast and easy way to put something up.

What is Joomla?

Joomla is a powerful CMS (content management system) that allows you to get a site with a professional look and does not have limits like one point sites (wordpress).

How to install joomla?

assuming you have a hosting account, or are going to get yourself one. There are two ways you can install joomla.
    Using something like Fantastico panel or Installatron OR manually.
    I always use point click software depending on the host and i would advice you to do so but if you know better go ahead and read more in this joomla tutorial to make sure you get it right.
    I take like 4 minutes to install joomla in a host using instalatron or fantastico takes more time to do it manually.

Tutorial Video

Should i install the sample data?

If its your fist time with joomla yes i would advice you to get the data inside so you can look and feel how the system works.
    This can be a pain later on when you have to delete \ clean trash for older articles but will make your understanding of they system easier to learn.

Ok im done now what the hell do i do here??

First and foremost make a domain\yourdomain.com folder in your browser, then put your domain inside the domain.com folder plus the yourdomain.com/administrator - this will save you some clicks on the long run lots of clicks.

Login to the backend and have a browse around get a feel for it, now that you have done some browsing i will point you the most important aspects to look for.

Menus and Modules

The menu modules are what i think the basis of all the linking on your home to your inner pages and so one of the most important parts of your structure.

Take a look at this Joomla Menu items video and you will find it most useful.

Sections and Categories

Sections and categories in Joomla provide you with a method for organizing your articles. A Section contains one or more categories, and each Category can have articles assigned to it. One Article can only be in one Category and Section or can also be left uncategorised. I cant stress enough how a good organization of your sections\categories is important in the overall site navigation and structure.

Joomla Templates

A lot of places offer free templates you can use under a GPL licence i will leave 3 im sure you can all goggle some more this are the places i fish from.

Joomla Templates, Joomla Extensions for the Joomla CMS - Home
    Joomla Templates and Joomla 1.5 Templates from Joomlashack
    Joomladesigns Free Joomla Templates

What do i look for in a template?

You will be looking for a clean, with several template positions to fit your needs. I normally try to look for css\tableless based templates.

How do i see the templates module positions?

You use the command www.mydomain.com/index.php?tp=1

Ok im done understanding modules positions and menu items how do i improve my joomla site?

The good thing about something like joomla is the value in the support community.
    This means lots of coders will make fun and useful stuff to improve your joomla experience. Some solutions are free some are paid.

Ok right so were do i start?

You can look for add ons and joomla extensions here. Make sure the extensions you are looking at are available in your joomla version or you might need to turn LEGACY on.

And what would you recommend?

Some stuff i use and can say they are a must for me so i will leave them here so you get some shortcuts.

SEF urls

This will help you creating and using search engine friendly url in your joomla installation. This includes meta tags and descriptions.

Jcrawler

JCrawler does the same as the Google crawler. It crawls your Joomla site and stores all the urls in a XML file without any plugins. After crawling you can ping Google, Ask.com, Moreover, Yahoo and MSN.

Creating mass content

This extension will allow you to:
    - create multiple pages(static and non static) with only titles
    - add these pages to a section and a category
    - link the created pages to a menu
    - add some intro text
    - edit some parameters (published, access level..)
    - create multiple sections and categories with a similar way
    - delete content, categories and sections

Google analytics

Google Analytics Tracking Module is used for inserting Google Analytics tracking code to the Joomla site as a module.

Live.Com Webmaster Verification

A simple plugin to make Live.Com Webmaster Central site verification easier.

Google Verify

Small Plugin to make Google Webmaster Tools site verification a bit easier. Works with the Meta Tag method and no template adjustements are needed.

Banner Slider

A simple way to slide banners in Joomla v1.5 with fade-in/scroll effect. It supports both Image and Custom Code field, so we can slide images with other advertisement html codes (like Google adsense)

Other interesting modules\plugins.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTattooedGuy View Post
    Andy's Joomla recommendations - free and otherwise

Hi guys

Well I've been using J! since around June last year. I don't hate WP but much prefer Joomla overall. Anyway I've used various plugins, modules, components and templates over the last few months so thought I'd share a few things with you that I've found helpful (fear not, there's no affiliate links here lol). Certainly now whenever I start a new site there's certain things I install immediately before even starting on content etc. So without further ado, let's look at

Free stuff

First of all you'll need a nice editor, frankly the default J! one sucks balls. I use JCE editor which you can get from

JCE - A Content Editor for Joomla!®

Once you've installed this badboy, just go to Global Configuration > Site > Default WYSIWIG editor and change to JCE. Job done.

Next up - for better managing of modules, I use Advanced Module Manager - this is a sweet, simple little addon which makes it a ton easier to assign/exclude modules from certain pages etc. Also fixes the occasional J! bug I've found where some modules won't appear on the right pages.

Advanced Module Manager - Joomla! Extensions Directory

In terms of security, there's a nice little plugin you can get called Marco's SQL injection interceptor. Whilst this doesn't cover all types of security intrusions it does a nice line in offering some free protection from certain SQL injection attacks.

Marco's SQL Injection - Joomla! Extensions Directory

(if you want to scare yourself you can get it to email you whenever it blocks stuff!)

Quick tip on how to 'mask' affiliate URLS

There are various plugins you can get to achieve this but the simplest and least messy way is via Joomla weblinks, which comes bundled with the CMS. Go to Components>Weblinks. You'll need to first set up a category (I just make one called 'Go'),. Then go to the links bit, click new and fill in the details (the 'alias' is what the visitor sees in the status bar). You can then use weblinks rather than inserting a normal link in a page. This is handy as well as say your affiliate link changes, you only need to change it the once in weblinks rather than in all your docs.

but I digress. Let's move on to some paid for stuff

More security stuff - J Secure

One of the problems with J! is that it takes some configuring to tighten up the security. Its default is to have your admin back end log in page at

yourpage.com: The Leading Your Page Site on the Net which gives anyone looking for a way in the first bit of the puzzle. Jsecure stops this by adding a 'key' to that URL which unless you know it, prevents you from being able to get to that log in screen.
    So for example you could now have

yourpage.com: The Leading Your Page Site on the Net or whatever. Really simple to set up and use. And at $10 you can hardly argue with it.

Blogging software

I spent days trying to find something decent. Frankly there's some really shitty J! blogging products out there. MyBlog is different though - why? It rocks, and it's SO simple to use and configure. I mean I've installed it again on a new site and it's taken a few minutes, if that. Very simple to use whether you want to use front or back end editor. Supports multiple users, tags etc. Also the templates it comes with are customisable. Again here the price is awesome at $45 with support for one installation, or $135 with support for five. It's a superb product

MyBlog - Joomla! Blog Component. Blogging Made Easy!

Events calendar

For my main poker site I wanted a calendar widget where I could have online tourneys listed for the different days. Again I had a bit of a crappy time searching for a decent product but JEvents is the real deal. It's either free or you can pay up to 70 euros for 12 month 'gold' membership depending on what you want. So far my needs are pretty simple so have just stuck with the free one. Pretty simple to use and config.

JEvents

More security

Andy stop going on about security, you're making me paraniod? Yeah well if you've been hacked you get that way lol. Since some dumbass hacked me I've been using various plugins etc but the main one is OSE Anti Hacker

OSE Anti-Hacker

Dammit just seen their site is down for maintenance so can't quote the price but I think it's around $100 or so. This has blocked a whole ton of intrusion attempts (again you can choose to have email alerts) and their customer service is awesome. It's a bit fiddly to config but they were there on hand to help out and pretty much did it all for me in the end at no extra cost! Very helpful team. Once it's up and running it just sits there basically, keeping an eye on things.

SEO and URL structures

Right if I could recommend one paid for product for Joomla it's got to be SH404 SEF. You'll probably notice with Joomla that it's default URLs are ugly and non-SEO friendly. Well SH404 deals with it very quickly, but also allows you quick editing of a given title/meta/URL. So you go from some stupid looking URL like

www.yoursite.com/index?articleid=3453424234523? blah blah to

www.yoursite.com/whatever/yourpage.html

You also have the ability to link to your GA account although I haven't used this as of yet. Really easy to use, quick results and vital if you want to have a good URL structure and SEO from that point of view. Cost? 1 year at $39 - absolute bargain

sh404SEF - Joomla! Extensions Directory

Templates and modules

Right we're all on the lookout for good templates right? I spent AGES when I first started looking for good quality templates. I can tell you that by far THE best J! templates (and plenty of kickass WP ones too) are at RocketTheme

http://www.rocketheme.com

There's several things I love about their products - firstly they're great value (club prices from $50), secondly their templates rock - really modern, slick and they churn out regular new stuff that's of great quality. Also it's not just templates - check out stuff like RokTabs and RokFeature Tables, great modules. On top of that their customer service rocks, for example today I posted three queries on their forum and in minutes was all sorted. They're happy to help you out even with 'noob' CSS queries

Mostly free cloning and backup

Finally one product I'm really pleased with is XCloner. This is actuallly free but you can pay for premium support and also they offer a paid cloning/restore service.
    Basically Xcloner allows you to back up your site from within the admin backend and then you can restore it or clone it (e.g to another URL). It's fairly simple and very effective. The guy who runs it gives superb service - I'm a total cluts with stuff like this so paid the 10euros or whatever per month and it's well worth it - I mean his responses have always been pretty much instant. I really cocked up a site the other day and wanted to pay him to restore it and he charged 40 euros which was cool ( I could've done it myself free I know but I tend to mess up stuff like that lol)

XCloner - Website Backup and Restore | Professional Backup application, Joomla backup extension, Wordpress backup plugin

I think that's pretty much it. Waffled on a bit but hopefully has been of some help to someone

Awesome, but i think i would take to much time starting up...

I would love to guide you and work with you in any projects we can partner up. Feel free to PM me im sure we can add value to both our operations by networking.

__________________________________________________ _______________

This is my first guide ever so i might improve\edit it at any time to make it more complete or user friendly. Enjoy guys
    Last edited by Viriatu; 05-19-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Banned
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score

thanks a lot i have been wanting to learn to use joomla

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score

Nice intro guide! Just one small point - the Google Analytics tracking module is a bit out of date, it uses the old urchin.js rather than the new ga.js - a more up to date module for Google Analytics tracking would be JoomlaGATor:

JoomlaGATor! - Joomla! Extensions Directory

What I am doing to get used to Joomla before 'going live' on the internet (as it were) is I have installed XAMPP on my desktop PC and have installed Joomla 1.5 into it - so I can play about and break it as much as I like before I let loose on a real site.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I use Joomla for 70% of my sites. It's a really great CMS with lots of extensions and maybe the best for newbies who have no coding experience. You can also find lots of free and paid templates.

My best paid template site is Rockettheme.
    Don't blame my English, I am working on it!

Online Poker

content is boring

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RayUK View Post
    Nice intro guide! Just one small point - the Google Analytics tracking module is a bit out of date, it uses the old urchin.js rather than the new ga.js - a more up to date module for Google Analytics tracking would be JoomlaGATor:

JoomlaGATor! - Joomla! Extensions Directory

What I am doing to get used to Joomla before 'going live' on the internet (as it were) is I have installed XAMPP on my desktop PC and have installed Joomla 1.5 into it - so I can play about and break it as much as I like before I let loose on a real site.
    thanks for the tip! The guide included in the install part for windows XP using the first tutorial video but now for some reason that site is not available...

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I've tried to use Joomla once but got frustrated and quit pretty fast. Now I use Wordpress. Can you list some of the reasons that Joomla is better than WP? I would give Joomla another shot if I knew it had some benefits.
    PokerTrikz - The Free Poker Training Site.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Trikkur View Post
    I've tried to use Joomla once but got frustrated and quit pretty fast. Now I use Wordpress. Can you list some of the reasons that Joomla is better than WP? I would give Joomla another shot if I knew it had some benefits.
    Joomla is much more versatile, but also therefore more complicated to use. This article seems quite good:

YOUmoz | Wordpress vs. Joomla: A Handy Guide

It is a little out of date with respect to its SEO comments, the sh404SEF plugin is excellent for improving the SEO for a Joomla site (I view it as the equivalent of Wordpress' all in one SEO plugin). You can get some very nice SE-friendly templates too.

Also, Joomla has a couple of WYSIWYG editors you can plug in to it, that makes it very like Wordpress in that regards. I hate WYSIWYG editors, I work in the text editor (i.e. the HTML) - this probably says something about me that you can colour this comment with!

Basically if you are happy with Wordpress and it will do what you want it too, look good, then stick with it I would say. I use both (not on gaming affiliate sites (yet!)) - Wordpress is excellent at blogs, and sites that can be run like they were blogs. Joomla is a true content management system in that it can do lots more things, but as a result can be bewildering to use at first - it isn't very intuitive, I have two 'beginners guide' type books and often look up things. I tried to just wing it when I first used it, that doesn't work. I had to work through the book and learn the thing. I don't mind that kind of propeller head stuff though, but I know others just want to get going quickly with something intuitive - Wordpress you can do this with.

All the above is just my opinion, hopefully others will chime in with theirs too, as I wouldn't mind hearing other's views on this.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Trikkur View Post
    You cannot say the WP or Joomla is better than the other because you use for other functions.

WP is better for blogging and it's very user friendly. With Joomla you can build a more complex community sites. Have lots of own modules what you cannot find in WP. For example forums, autoresponder, affiliate tracking system, shopping charts, etc.
    Don't blame my English, I am working on it!

Online Poker

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Great guide for ppl wishing to use joomla!

personally i think wordpress is far superior than joomla - i just find it so much easier personaly

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaben86 View Post
    For example forums, autoresponder, affiliate tracking system, shopping charts, etc.
    Just to let you know you can do all of them in wordpress (not sure about the tracking system). And if you can think of something that isn't available you will definitely be able to find someone who can make a plugin for it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information