• Login:
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Memories From The Old Days (Pre UIGEA)

PAL Red Pro
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Memories From The Old Days (Pre UIGEA)

While out on a 6 mile run this afternoon I was thinking about the poker affiliate industry (pre UIGEA) and even back to 2003 and actually laughed out loud a few times. I figured I'd start this thread and let the rest of you dinosaurs share some of your memories. Here are just a few of mine:

* Buying crappy 125x125 classified spots on 2+2 by the dozen........and actually converting high value players

* Reserving the bonus code "Granny" at Fulltilt and really…..I mean really pissing off another 2+2 advertiser. Shady, indeed.

* I once came home completely hammered and ran $750 up to roughly $10k playing 5/10 NL at Party. After three hours of play I realized I was at a play money table.....oops.

* I thought GreenTiePoker was going to be the next big thing, spent tons of money on promoting them, pimped the hell out of them. 6 months later......out of business.

There's so many more too. Where does your trip down memory lane take you?

ความลับไม่มีในโลก
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    48 (100%)

I got start putting out adds at monster.com where the job was writing poker reviews. I required them to deposit which triggered a CPA and then would pay them half the CPA back in exchange for their full review.

I then purchased a $500 120x60 banner add at 2+2 and ran a new site from scratch to over $5000 per month affiliating propping via RakeMeBack and few VIP deals at larger sites.

I had pretty good income before I cared if a Google visitor showed up and when it did wasn't long until we had months breaking $30,000+. I don't have too many mistakes because I don't trust many involved with this industry and expect to get cheated by programs from time to time. I mean mistakes yes - major ones but like silly ones not too many. I spent $250 on the domain holdemhaven.com and really thought it was the perfect name for an online poker site - everyone I asked disagreed. We then purchased an action poker skin off eBay - which (now thankfully) due to non response from the whitelabel provider to make sure this was all on the up and up we never paid. Sure others will have funnier ones - I wish I had something silly to share but that's about the best I can come up with.
    wjb316 likes this.
    Betting Sports in the US? 5Dimes has Best Odds (US Players Accepted) - Live elsewhere? PinnacleSports Offers the Best Odds (No US Players)

ptg
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I spent $5k buying t-shirts and table tops for a local poker league. ROI = $0.

I remember walking outside during one of the affiliate conferences in Vegas in 2005 or 2006 and seeing Party Poker advertising in the sky via airplane smoke...I think it said "Monster" or something like that. They had some promotion called "monster" back in the days. i just found this: https://origin-upgrade.partypoker.co...er/whatis.html

I also bought tiny 2+2 ads for several hundred bones a month. That didn't last very long.

Oh yeah...the good old days.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I gave away books like Super/System on eBay. The catch was that for the customer to get the book free, they had to sign up under my bonus code at Party. One of the guys I signed up later became a super affiliate, after I explained to him how the biz works.

PAL Affiliate Manager
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Playing on paradise poker in 2000. Used to play 2-4 limit holdem. One of the regs got outdrawn terribly on the river and as he was about to leave the table wrote in the chat box, "oh we'll tomorrow's another day in paradise!"

Tim
    Newjabber likes this.
    Muchos Poker: your central cashier for 9 poker networks!

www.muchospoker.com
    www.muchospartners.com

PAL Red Pro
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Paradise Poker.......I remember the fun of choosing what you wanted to have on your table next to you! I was a coffee and cake eater myself. I logged a lot of hours at that room.

I also miss the PartyPoker bonanza's where you got bonused for the amount of players you sent on top of your commission. I remember hustling at the end of the month to get sign-ups just to hit the next bonanza level.

PokerRoom.com used to run some fun monthly contests too.

I like beach balls

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    * Reserving the bonus code "Granny" at Fulltilt and really…..I mean really pissing off another 2+2 advertiser. Shady, indeed.
    Shit this was you? I remember Granny Mae just RAGING about this. Mad props.
    Spry and Randy Ray like this.
    Graeme aka Dealer Dan
    Gambling Affiliate Bible

PAL Red Pro
    My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Well, I kept seeing the Granny bonus code all over 2+2.......and players just entered Granny for any site they signed up for. So naturally when I registered as one of Fulltilt's first few hundred affiliates I snagged it. Then I threw a 125x125 banner up in the classifieds with the bonus code. In retrospect, it was pretty shady and stupid. But at the time I was not a 2+2 member, just an advertiser and didn't realize this dude pretty much owned the site in terms of his name and bonus code. In retrospect, bad judgement, but laughable now. This was even before rakeback, so I figured what the hell.

My Status

----

Add as a friend
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Well, that and the guy should have had the sense to grab that bonus code for himself.

Tom
    Web Developer
    Grinding

----

Add as a friend
    Blog Entries
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I miss those days too!

I remember playing on paradise poker and pokerroom.com when I first learned how to play poker. I remember playing a $1 table thinking it was big money and winning $50 was a big deal. Also I would play those $1 tournaments with pokerroom.com when they had a $1000 or so added to it.

In regards to affiliating, it was awesome promoting any random room and getting signups so easy. I would make money on sites like pitbull poker, poker host, w poker, celeb poker. I was fun to wake up the next day and check like 15 different sites to see where you made money.

I also miss Neteller....so easy to get your money.

Thread Information